We all know the saying “An apple a day keeps the doctor away,” but did you know that there’s actually a lot of truth to that? Various studies have found that fruits carry many health benefits from keeping our gut healthy to preventing chronic disease, such as diabetes, coronary heart disease, and cancer. Additionally, eating fresh and whole fruits will help us stay away from processed foods, which we all know can be quite unhealthy.
The health benefits of fruits are truly underrated and we want to share with you the top 4 things that you should know about them:
1. Don’t peel your apples and pears- that’s where most of the fiber is!
Some fruit peels are edible and are loaded with fiber, so do not discard them! Fiber is an indigestible carbohydrate that is found in plant foods, and yes indigestible means that it will pass through our body undigested! When we eat fruit as a whole, the undigested fiber becomes food for the good bacteria found in our large intestine, otherwise known as prebiotics. The good bacteria in our gut then goes on to produce nutrients that are crucial for optimal bowel movements and decrease our risk of diabetes, heart problems, and cancer.
In general, anyone aiming for a healthy lifestyle should consume fruit in its whole form in order to get the most benefit. It is recommended that adults get 25-30g of fiber per day, and eating fruit with the skin on can help you to get there! Pure Plates offers many fiber-rich foods on their plant-filled menu, including fruit options, vegetables, and homemade bars packed with nuts and seeds.
2. Fruits are naturally packed with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
Sometimes the answer is right there in front of us, but we choose to ignore it. One of the easiest ways we can consume the essential nutrients our body needs is by simply consuming more fruit. For example, fruits are a great source of important vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that help to support our immune system! Some key nutrients that are found in fruits are:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
All of the above play a key role in regulating our immune system and therefore our body’s ability to fight off free radicals. Antioxidants that come from various fruits- like berries, grapes, and peaches particularly help our body to combat free radicals, which can damage our healthy cells and potentially cause cancer. You don’t want that!
For this reason, it’s essential that we get an adequate amount of fruit daily in order to prevent the onset of many diseases. Right now, we’re loving the greek yogurt and berry bowl from Pure Plates.
3. Fruit can help you to stay hydrated!
Have you heard of the term “water content”? Every fruit we consume has a certain amount of water. For example, watermelon contains 92% water per volume and grapefruit contains 90% water. The high water content of fruit can help us to reach our daily requirement of water intake and ward off dehydration.
While we’re not recommending that you substitute plain water with fruit, it’s definitely helpful that you consume an adequate amount to replenish your body and prevent dehydration.
4. How to incorporate more fruit into your diet
According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, it’s recommended that we fill up half our plate with fruit and vegetables, but this is easier said than done. The easiest, most simple way to consume more fruit is to add them to your meals! Here are a few ways that you can add more fruit to each meal:
This one is one of our favorite ways to incorporate more fruit into the diet, and is the most simple in our opinion.
- Peanut butter and banana toast with ground cinnamon on top- absolutely delicious, and most importantly, balanced. This breakfast will provide you with long-lasting energy containing protein, carbohydrates, and fiber.
- If you prefer to have cereal or oats in the morning, slice up some strawberries, bananas, or peaches and add them to the mix for extra deliciousness and health benefit.
- Make a smoothie! Think of your favorite fruits and combine! Blend together for a nutritious and refreshing morning beverage.
Here are some delicious ways to add fruit to your lunch.
- Pair your meal with a side fruit salad!
- Fruit parfaits are always a must. Enjoy a cup of greek yogurt topped with granola and your favorite fruit for lunch!
- Slice up some apples and dip them in peanut butter as a side snack.
Don’t fret this, friends! You can still include fruit in your dinner plans without missing out on your favorite meals.
- Have you heard of a strawberry and spinach salad? If not, we definitely recommend you look up a recipe- so tasty!
- Top your tacos with sliced avocado and chopped tomato- both of which are members of the fruit food group!
- Add fresh fruit to your kebabs and grill away. We recommend grilled pineapple!
Choosing fruit-filled meals and snacks from Pure Plates can make your life even simpler and stress free by having your meals prepared for you!
The key takeaway…
Fruit has extensive nutritional value and is an essential component to a balanced diet. They contain nutrients that boost our immune systems and give us the ability to fight disease. There are many ways that you can add more fruits into your diet, some of which we shared with you. You can get as creative as you want and don’t be afraid to try new things! Pure Plates offers a variety of fruit choices with these health benefits that can and should be included in your daily routine.